Intervals with common bass tone...?

Hi... My question is : What is this called in musical theory language? A series of intervals with a common base tone...? Are there any historical references to music like this? Is the base tone than usually the tonal center of the piece? And therefore defines the key? Even if there are some chromatic chords involved...? Thanks

--vextab options space=20 tabstave notation=true tablature=false key=Cm time=4/4 notes G-C-F-C/4 | G-C-B-C/4 | A-C-A-C/4 | A-C-G-C/4 options space=25 --vextab

2 Answers



That's a good question, I believe in your example that recurring C would be called a pedal tone since it's not necessarily a chordal tone but keeps coming back. Generally pedal tones are long notes held out in the bass, however if the instrument is only capable of playing one note at a time this would be a way of accomplishing the same sound/feel.

Jan 23, 2015

Thanks. That's a big help. Pedal point and Drone are other words I found.

Jan 23, 2015

Your Answer:

Do you know the answer? Please login to contribute!